Know Your Customer, Anti-Money Laundering and Transaction Monitoring Policy
This Know Your Customer (“KYC”) and Anti-Money Laundering (“AML”) Policy details the KYC and AML requirements to access and use our website https://www.navexm.us, operated under the brand name of “NavExM”, which provides services of online trading of Crypto.
NavExM reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, modify, add or remove portions of this KYC/AML Policy,
You hereby expressly consent to NavExM’s continuous monitoring and collecting of information and data of Your activities on our Platform for the purpose of this KYC/AML Policy.
1.1 “Applicable Law” shall mean any applicable statute, law, regulation, ordinance, rule, judgment, order, decree, by-law, approval from the concerned authority, government resolution, order, directive, guideline, policy, requirement, or other governmental restriction in force, including without limitation the Prevention of Money Laundering Act 2002 (“PMLA”), the Prevention of Money Laundering (Maintenance of Records) Rules 2005 (“PML Rules”), and various applicable guidelines, rules and regulations of the Computer Emergency Response Team, Central Bank or its constituents/payment system providers as applicable, replaced and updated from time to time.
1.2 “Crypto(s)” are virtual digital assets and refer to a cryptographically secured
digital representation of value or contractual rights that uses distributed ledger technology and can be
transferred, stored or traded electronically using the Platform, including but not limited to NavC or
bitcoin (BTC) and Ether (ETH).
1.3 “Customer”/ “User”/ “You” shall mean any Person using/accessing the Platform, for
trading in Cryptos.
1.4 “Customer Due Diligence (CDD)” means identifying the customer and verifying their
identity by using a reliable, independent source of documents, data, or information.
1.5 “Officially Valid Document/OVD” means the passport, the driving license, Social
Security Card, Green Card or any other equivalent proof
1.6 “Person” includes (i) an individual who is above eighteen (18) years of age, (ii)
a Hindu undivided family, (iii) a company, (iv) a firm, (v) an association of person or a body of
individuals, whether incorporated or not, (vi) a local authority, and (vii) every artificial juridical
person, not falling with any of the preceding sub-clauses.
1.7 “Politically Exposed Person” (PEP) is a person who is authorized to perform
prominent public functions in a country and includes governors of the state, members of Parliament,
military officers, senior government and judicial executives, and heads of local bodies such as
municipal corporations, among others. You could also qualify as a PEP if You are a family member or a
close relative of such an individual.
1.8 “Suspicious Transaction” means a transaction, including an attempted transaction
on the Platform, which under NavExM's sole discretion:
- give rise to a reasonable ground of suspicion that it may involve proceeds of a crime/an
offense, regardless of the value involved; or
- appears to be made in circumstances of unusual or unjustified complexity or in contravention to
any Applicable Law; or
- appears to have no economic rationale or bona fide purpose; or
- gives rise to a reasonable ground of suspicion that it may involve financing of the activities
relating to terrorism. Terrorism includes transactions involving funds suspected to be linked or
related to or to be used for terrorism, terrorist acts, or by a terrorist, terrorist organization,
or those who finance or are attempting to finance terrorism.
1.9 “User Account” shall mean the account created on the Platform through which the User gives
instructions for Crypto trading to NavExM.
2. KYC Norms
- 2.1 KYC is the key principle for the identification of any individual opening and operating a User
Account. KYC means to ‘Know Your Customer' which is an effective way for an institution to confirm and
thereby verify the authenticity of a customer.
- 2.2 The customer identification should entail verification on the basis of documents and information
provided by the customer. The objectives of KYC are as under:
- To ensure appropriate customer identification,
- Monitor the transactions of a suspicious nature,
- Satisfy that the proposed customer is not an undischarged insolvent,
- Minimize frauds,
- Avoid opening Benami accounts with fictitious names and addresses, and
- Weed out undesirable customers.
3. Declarations and Obligations
Declarations and Disclosure of Information by NavExM
- 3.1.1 At the time You open an Account and opt to trade using the Platform, NavExM shall endeavor
to identify and verify Your identity. To this effect, NavExM shall collect, and You, as the User
shall provide, such documents and data, as requested by NavExM from time to time, to establish and
verify the identity of the User / for KYC purposes / to establish and verify the nature of any
Suspicious Transaction undertaken on the Platform. All data provided by You for KYC, and customer
identification purposes or information on the Suspicious Transaction, shall be true, correct, and
up-to-date. NavExM may also use/deploy various software and/or technology or other means, either
directly or through its service providers/vendors to establish and verify Your identity and/or the
documents/information provided by You. You hereby consent to any such identity verification and KYC
- 3.1.2 The documents and data for KYC and customer identification purposes shall be requested from
the User and shall be accessed and used by NavExM as per this Policy, the Applicable Laws, and the
3.1.3 NavExM shall endeavor to verify, either itself or through third-party vendors/service
providers, the identity and address of the Users along with the other details and documents
submitted by You as may be legally/operationally tenable, including but not limited to using the
- Tax Identification Document or any equivalent document,
- Green Card,
- Valid US Passport,
- Valid US Driving License,
- Social Security Card, or
- Any other document may be required by NavExM from time to time.
You as the User, hereby agree to provide the required documents and information for KYC checks in a timely manner, to create and to continue using the User Account through which You may give
instructions on the Platform.
- 3.1.4 You acknowledge and agree that the foregoing list of documentation, verification, and
information may be amended by NavExM by way of a notification/intimation, in its sole discretion
from time to time, without prior notice.
- 3.1.5 NavExM reserves the right to examine or request additional information and documents to
establish your identity, and financial position, including sources of your funds and/or details of
the Crypto Wallet to which you transferred / from where you received any Crypto, and you shall
provide all assistance and cooperation in this regard. If you fail/refuse to comply with the
requirements herein, NavExM shall not allow you to create or operate the user Account or carry out
Crypto transactions through the platform.
- 3.1.6 You agree to provide such additional documents as may be required by NavExM, to ensure
compliance with any applicable laws or NavExM’ s policies or a request from any law
enforcement authorities immediately, upon receipt of a written request from NavExM.
- 3.1.7 You further represent, warrant, and agree to provide true, correct, and complete KYC
documents, information, and data to NavExM / its delegates/agents/representatives.
- 3.1.8 Where any transaction or series of transactions undertaken by you are considered as
Suspicious Transaction(s) at the sole discretion of NavExM or NavExM reasonably perceives that it
is likely to involve proceeds of crime or be used towards any illegal activity, or in an event, if
NavExM receives requests/requisitions from any banking partner/ payment system provider or
participant/ statutory/ regulatory/ supervisory/ law enforcement authority/ enforcement authority
(“Authorities”), NavExM shall report all such Suspicious Transaction(s) to the
Authorities, as well as use, retain and share your personal data, documents, and information
available with NavExM with the Authorities, and block and freeze your access to the platform and
your Account, and may also increase the future monitoring of such user account. You as the user,
hereby undertake and warrant to provide all assistance, support, and cooperation in this regard
including additional documents to verify the identity or the details of the transaction.
- 3.1.9 NavExM does not allow the opening of or keeping any anonymous user accounts or creating
any accounts under fictitious names or on behalf of other persons whose identity has not been
disclosed, or cannot be verified, or more than one (1) account for a person.
- 3.2.1 You agree to use the platform only for lawful and legal purposes as per this KYC/AML
Policy, as amended from time to time, and the Applicable Laws.
- 3.2.2 You shall not use the platform for any illegal or unlawful or criminal or anti-national
purposes or for financing any such activity under any circumstance whatsoever
- 3.2.3 You shall not impersonate another person or misrepresent yourself on the platform under
any circumstance whatsoever.
- 3.2.4 You undertake and warrant not to indulge in any benami transactions or any transactions
that are in violation of any applicable laws, this policy or any other policy or instruction as
issued by NavExM from time to time.
In order to mitigate its risks relating to money laundering and other illegal activities, the Company intends to put in place this policy which has the following elements:
- Customer Acceptance Terms; and
- Risk Management Procedure; and
- Customer Verification Procedure; and
- Transaction Monitoring Terms.
5. Customer Acceptance Policy (CAP)
5.1 Account Opening Procedures
- 5.1.1 Any US resident can open an account with NavExM and such account can only be accessed
within the geographical territory and jurisdiction of Unites States.
- 5.1.2 The User has to provide the following before his/ her Account can be made operational:
- a. Tax Identification Document given by Income Tax Authorities,
- b. Documents for identification and proof of residence (Green Card/ Driving
License/Passport/Social Security Card),
- c. Live selfie from the camera.
Please note that post account opening process, the User would be required to add and verify
their bank account/UPI ID for making deposits/withdrawals
- 5.1.3 The above documents/data would help to establish the identity of the person opening the
account but would not be sufficient to prepare a profile of expected activities in the account.
Towards this, the following additional details may need to be collected while opening the Account:
- Annual income,
- If Politically Exposed Person (PEP),
- Trading experience, and
- Marital status.
- 5.1.4 The User's Account will only be made operational for the User to avail our
services when such documents, information as mentioned above, or any other additional information
as requested by NavExM has been verified as per the satisfaction of NavExM.
- 5.2 NavExM shall maintain an audit trail of any upload/modification/download.
- 5.3 Safeguard measures taken by NavExM
- 5.3.1 Before registering an account, we on a reasonable efforts basis ensure that:
- Such account is not under an anonymous or fictitious/benami name.
- No account is made operational, and the User is not allowed to avail our services in an event
if we are unable to apply appropriate CDD measures, i.e. verify the User identity and/or obtain
documents required or non-reliability of the documents/information furnished to NavExM, either due
to non-cooperation of the User or non-reliability of the documents/information furnished by the
- No account is opened, or trades are executed without following CDD procedure.
- The user's identity does not match with any person with a known criminal background or having
any association/ relationship with banned entities/ persons such as individual terrorists or
terrorist organizations etc.
5.3.2 Users are not permitted to act on behalf of another user and can only transact on NavExM's
platform on their own account, with their own funds, and for their own benefit. Users are not
permitted to open any of the following:
- an anonymous account;
- an account under a fictitious name; or
- an account on behalf of other persons whose identity is undisclosed or unverifiable.
- 5.3.3 NavExM at its sole discretion may review the user's Account and transactions for any
Suspicious Transactions or in an event if NavExM receives a request for the same from authorities
and based on NavExM's judgment or instruction from Authorities such Account may be suspended,
frozen, blocked, disabled, or terminated.
- 5.3.4 NavExM may, in its sole discretion, refuse to open any new accounts, suspend or terminate
existing User Accounts after giving due notice, or refuse to process any transactions on the
Platform if it is unable to ensure compliance with any of the aforementioned conditions, either
due to non-cooperation by the user or due to the details provided by the user being found enlisted
on any sanctions lists or unreliable or unverifiable to NavExM's satisfaction
- 5.3.5 Requirements/obligations under international agreements & Communication from
international agencies: NavExM shall reasonably ensure that it does not have any account in the
name of individuals appearing in the lists of individuals and entities, suspected of having
terrorist links, which are approved by and periodically circulated by the United Nations Security
Council (UNSC), other watchlists and sanctions lists.
6. Customer Identification Procedure (CIP)
One of the objectives of the “KYC” and data/information collection norms being carried out by
NavExM is to ensure appropriate Customer Identification. Customer Identification means undertaking
the process of CDD. NavExM may need to obtain sufficient information necessary to establish, to its
satisfaction, the identity of each User, whether regular or occasional and the purpose of the
intended nature of the transaction being executed on/ through the Platform.
Customer Identification Procedure is carried out at different stages while the Platform is accessed
by the User and is not limited to instances when:
- Registering an Account,
- Periodic review of an Account,
- Any transaction is being executed by the user on the platform, and/or
- NavExM has a doubt about the authenticity/veracity or the adequacy of the earlier obtained
user identification data.
6.1 User identification
Identification of a User is an important prerequisite for registering and opening an Account. No
account is allowed on the platform unless verification and due diligence of said user is
successfully completed by NavExM.
Identity generally means a set of attributes that together uniquely identify a ‘natural’ or a ‘legal’ person. The attributes which help in the unique identity of a ‘natural’ or ‘legal’ person are called identifiers.
- Identifiers are of two types:
- a.) Primary
- b.) Secondary
- Primary Identifiers: Means and includes the name (in full), Date of Birth, PAN number, and Passport number/Voter Identity Card/Driving License as they help in uniquely establishing the identity of the person
- Secondary Identifiers: Includes address, location, nationality, and other such identification, as they help further refine the identity. User identification does not start and end at the point of application but it is always an ongoing exercise.
Identification is the act of establishing who a person is:
- In the context of KYC, identification means establishing who a person purport to be.
- This is done by recording the information provided by the User covering the elements of his
identity (i.e., name, and the address at which they can be located).
- For undertaking CDD, the following shall be obtained from an individual while establishing
a relationship. The features to be verified and the documents to be obtained for establishing
the identity of a person are as under:
- Tax Identity Document issued by Tax Authority, and
- Certified copy of an Officially Valid Document (OVD) or the equivalent e-document thereof
containing the details of identity and address. “Officially Valid Document” (OVD) means i) the
Passport, ii) Green card, iii) Driving License, iv) or any other document as required by NavExM
from time to time and in its sole discretion.
Verification of identity is the process of proving whether a person actually is who they claim
to be. In the context of KYC, verification is the process of seeking satisfactory evidence of
the identity of those with whom NavExM does business. This is done by carrying out checks on the
correctness of the information provided by the customer.
- 6.1.4 Process of video-KYC
In scenarios where the document provided by a User has some issues and cannot be validated
using the automated solutions NavExM has in place, a video-KYC might be required from the User
to validate the identity and authenticity of the document/ information submitted by them. We
would also use the video-KYC process while performing enhanced due diligence wherever required.
- 6.1.5 Periodic updation of KYC
Periodic updation of KYC of Users is performed at such intervals of time and using such
processes/documents as decided by NavExM at its sole discretion. A risk-based approach for
periodic updation of KYC is to be adopted:
- No change in KYC information: In case of no change in the KYC information, a self-declaration from the User in this regard shall be obtained through user's email id and mobile number registered with NavExM.
- Change in address: In case of a change only in the address details of the user, a
self-declaration of the new address may be obtained from the user through the user's email
id and mobile number registered with NavExM along with valid proof to be submitted by the
user for the change in such address.
- Change in contact information like a phone number or email address: In case of a change
in the contact details of the user, the user can reach out to NavExM to get the details
updated, along with valid proof of change and demonstrating ownership of the Account for
which the details are to be updated.
There are 2 types of Customer Due Diligence (CDD) that can be used in accordance with the risk
category of the customer.
- 6.2.1 Basic Due Diligence means the collection and verification of identity proof, address
proof, and a photograph to establish the identity of the User. This is done on the basis of
the documents and information submitted by the user.
- 6.2.2 Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD) means additional diligence measures undertaken over and
above the Basic Due Diligence. Steps under EDD shall include but will not be limited to
checking if a User falls under the category of Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs), or is
associated with any terrorist activities/groups, monitoring the account activity of such
NavExM shall conduct Basic Due Diligence, EDD, or any other due diligence activity or measures
which under its sole discretion and/ or under Applicable Laws is required for a User registering
or using the Platform.
7. Anti-Money Laundering Standards
NavExM is vigilant in the fight against money laundering and under its best judgment implements
processes not allowing any person to use the Platform for money laundering and terrorist
- 7.1 Steps taken to prevent Money-Laundering activities and Terrorist
NavExM has implemented steps as described below with an objective to prevent any money
laundering activity and/or terrorist financing on the Platform. Such processes being implemented
are exhaustive in nature and are subject to change as required under any Applicable Law and/or
as per NavExM's sole discretion.
NavExM may perform ongoing monitoring for the below sample scenarios:
- a. Deposits from multiple bank accounts or UPI IDs
- b. Withdrawals to multiple bank accounts
- c. Very frequent deposits or withdrawals
- d. Deposits and withdrawals without performing any trades
8. Monitoring of Transactions - On-going Due Diligence
- 8.1 Monitoring and supervision of the Account in the event of any suspicious activity is
detected is essential.
- 8.2 As part of the ongoing due diligence process, NavExM may monitor account activities
undertaken by a user through the platform to reasonably ensure that they are consistent with
their knowledge of the user, its risk profile, and where necessary, the source of funds.
- 8.3 When there are suspicions of money laundering or financing of activities relating to
terrorism or where there are doubts about the adequacy or veracity of previously obtained user
identification data, NavExM may review the due diligence measures including reverifying your
identity and may request additional information. You, the user hereby confirm that you shall
provide all such information, as and when requested by NavExM.
- 8.4 Monitoring customer activity and transactions throughout the relationship helps us to
know their customers, assess risk, and provide assurance that NavExM is not being used for the
purposes of financial crime. However, the extent of monitoring shall be aligned with the risk
category of the customer. High-risk accounts have to be subjected to more intensified
- 8.5 Without prejudice to the generality of factors that call for close monitoring following
types of transactions shall necessarily be monitored, whereas on basis of monitoring
activities conducted by NavExM as described under this Policy, any Account may be frozen or
suspended / user access might be blocked or terminated as decided by NavExM under its sole
- Very high account turnover inconsistent with the size of the balance maintained.
- Special attention should be paid to the complex, unusually large transaction and all
unusual patterns, inconsistent with the normal and expected activity of the User, which have
no apparent economic rationale or lawful purpose.
- 8.6 NavExM may enable alerts when the transactions are inconsistent with risk
categorization and the updated profile of the customers shall be put into use as a part of
effective identification and reporting of suspicious transactions.
- 9.1 NavExM has appointed a ‘Principal / Compliance Officer’ to ensure overall compliance with the obligations imposed herein and under any Applicable Laws. Our Compliance Officer is available at [email protected] .
- 9.2 In case of any complaint or queries with respect to this Policy or to report any suspicious or illegal activity of a user within your knowledge, you may write to us at [email protected].
10. Risk Management by Periodic Review
- 10.1 Identification of a customer is an important prerequisite for opening an account.
Non-adherence to this may lead to risks e.g., frauds, money laundering, inadvertent
overdrafts, and Benami/fictitious accounts.
- 10.2 Non-compliance of monitoring of the transactions exceeding the threshold limit and
non-recording of the transactions may result in intentional splitting/structuring of
transactions to evade taxes, money laundering, and financing of terrorist activities.
- 10.3 NavExM may carry out ‘Money Laundering (ML) and Terrorist Financing (‘TF') Risk
Assessment' periodically to identify, assess and take effective measures to mitigate money
laundering and terrorist financing risk for Users, countries or geographic areas, and
products, services, transactions, or delivery channels that is consistent with any
national risk assessment conducted by a body or authority duly notified by the Central
- 10.4 NavExM, as a best industry practice and under its sole discretion categorizes the
users under low, medium, and high-risk categories, based on the assessment and risk
perception. NavExM should prepare the profile of the customer which should contain
information relating to the customer's identity, social/financial status, nature of the
business activity, and risk categorization shall be undertaken based on these parameters.
- 10.5 All user accounts should be periodically updated based on their risk category.
Unless otherwise required under this policy or under applicable law or for complying with
any request of authorities, at present, the periodicity of such updation should not be
less than once in five (5) years in the case of low-risk category customers, and not less
than once in two (2) years in case of high and medium risk categories. NavExM reserves the
right to change the above periodicity at any time and from time to time in its sole
- 10.6 While considering the customer's identity, the ability to confirm identity
documents through online or other services offered by the issuing authorities may also be
factored in. The customer profile will be a confidential document and details contained
therein shall not be divulged for cross-selling or any purposes other than those specified
made available on the Platform or otherwise informed to the user from time to time.
- 10.7 NavExM may take a view on risk categorization of each customer into low, medium,
and high-risk categories depending on their experience, expertise in profiling of the
customer based on their understanding, judgment, assessment, and risk perception of the
customer and not merely based on any group or class they belong to.
- 10.8 The risk assessment carried out by NavExM shall:
- be reasonably documented;
- consider all the relevant risk factors before determining the level of overall risk
and the appropriate level and type of mitigation to be applied;
- be kept up to date; and
- be available to competent authorities and self-regulating bodies/Authorities, if
and as required under Applicable Laws.
11. Internal Controls
- 11.1 Preservation of Record / Record Management
- 11.1.1 NavExM shall reasonably ensure that all information received for the purpose of
identification or due diligence is used by it in accordance with NavExM's terms and
conditions applicable. NavExM shall also take necessary reasonable steps for
maintenance, preservation, and reporting of user information per the internal policies
and standard operating procedures of NavExM.
- 11.1.2 In addition, the confidentiality, security, and protection against access, use,
and disclosure (including publication or display) of all information of a user,
collected or created by NavExM shall be kept in accordance with applicable law.
- 11.1.3 NavExM shall collect and maintain records, in the form of books or stored in a
computer, of Your identity proof along with all documents and information provided by
You and of all the transactions undertaken by You on the Platform, as required under the
Applicable Laws/good industry practices.
- 11.1.4 NavExM shall maintain and report to Authorities the records of:
- the KYC details, documents, and data of all users who open a user account on the
- the KYC details, documents, and data of all users who undertake a transaction on
the platform; or
- Your transactions on the platform.
under this Policy or during registration/creation/ongoing due diligence of your account
shall be maintained for the duration of the account is operational, and for a period of
5 (five) years from the date the account ceases to exist or such longer period as may be
specified under any applicable law/authority.
- 11.2 NavExM shall make available the identification records and transaction
data to the authorities upon request.
- suspects transactions of being involved in ML or TF, or
- doubts the adequacy or veracity of previously obtained identification data
necessary steps will be taken to review the due diligence measures undertaken by NavExM
or the information obtained (on the purpose and intended nature of the business
relationship) from the User.
Adequate screening mechanisms as an integral part of their personnel recruitment/hiring
process shall be put in place to ensure high standards and equal and fair opportunity
when hiring employees.
- 11.5 Employee training
- 11.5.1 Employee training programs are put in place so that the members of concerned
staff are adequately trained in KYC/AML/CFT policy. The focus of the training could be
different for frontline staff, compliance staff, risk management staff, Audit staff,
and staff dealing with new customers. The front desk staff is trained to handle issues
arising from a lack of customer education. Proper staffing of the audit function with
persons adequately trained and well-versed in KYC/AML/CFT policies, regulations, and
related issues also ensure its proper implementation. e-Learning modules have been
introduced for increased awareness.
- 11.5.2 We have taken every effort to ensure that this policy adheres to the
applicable laws. The invalidity or unenforceability of any part of this policy shall
not prejudice or affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of this
policy. This policy does not apply to any information other than the information
collected by NavExM through the platform.
- 12. Modifications
- 12.1 These terms may be periodically reviewed and revised. The revised draft will be
uploaded on the NavExM website and will reflect the modified date of the terms. The
user is required to periodically visit the website and review terms and any changes
- 12.2 Continued use of the Services constitutes the agreement of User to the terms
contained herein and any amendments thereto.
- 12.3 This agreement or the responsibilities or benefits arising therefrom cannot be
assigned by User save and except with the prior written consent of NavExM.
Documents required for KYC
User is required to submit following documents to verify its identity on NavExM portal:
- A. For Individual User:
- 1. For Identity Proof: Tax Identity Document
- 2. For Address Proof: Any one of the following:
- a. Green Card,
- b. Valid Driving License,
- c. Valid Passport,
- d. Social Security Card,
- e. Any other Officially valid Document of the State
- 3. Any other document that may be required by NavExM from time to time
- 4. Clear Selfie of the user for face recognition.
- B. For other than Individual i.e a Firm, Limited Liability Corporation,
- 1. Certificate of Formation/registration
- 2. Tax Document in name of entity
- 3. Address Proof: Latest Electricity Bill, Tax Document of Corporation
- 4. Copy of Articles or By-laws of the entity
- 5. List of Director/partner/trustee/members of the entity
- 6. Written Resolution/Letter of Authority to authorize official to represent the
- 7. Authorized person documents as per point ‘A’ above
- 8. Copy of Bank Statement of cancelled cheque in name of entity
- 9. Any other document that may be required by NavExM from time to time
- 10. Clear Selfie of the Authorized signatory for face recognition.
Note: All documents must be self-attested by the user.